Monday, October 10, 2011

Grateful for life's blessings

I received the sweetest card in the mail the other day from some friends who live in the NW. I first met them awhile ago when I conducted a bereaved parents weekend retreat. I won't use their names without permission so for now I will just call them "my friends". Anyway, their little guy passed away and of course they were struggling to cope. The retreat helped each one get a glimpse of how the other was feeling. The dad was 'doing' and the mom was crying. She felt like he wasn't grieving or being supportive to her cuz he was always off doing something...sometimes it was something that looked like fun. Her crying was probably frightening for him and maybe he wasn't as supportive as he could have been. Well, that is unfortunately a very typical response to losing a child and also the way couples come apart at the seams. The retreat experience was only two days long but it really helped my friends put things in perspective and start healing together as a couple and as grieving parents. Their card was to thank me for helping them. I am grateful to them for sharing with me how much the workshop meant to them. Also just happy that they are doing so much better. Life is a struggle on a good day but if you have someone who is there for you it makes the struggles that much easier to handle. Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment